Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Dreaded 3-0!

Oh, My. Oh, My. I can't believe it happened?! My big sister turned the big 3-0 today! Scary? Yes. Because where she goes, I will be. Fun? The BEST. We had the funnest girls' night out yesterday celebrating Natalie's Dirty Thirty Momentous Occassion. And by the way, she was such a good sport... she wore that birthday crown all night last night!

We started off at the Lucky nail salon and all got pedicures. Some rare royal treatment for us poor folk. It was fabulous.

Here is Kristin squirming and laughing her head off...


because her Pedicurist was doing this... the dreaded cheese grater! I must admit, it is REALLY hard not to squirm and laugh when they take the zester to your foot - anyone else have that problem?


Sexy, or what? I guess only if you have a foot fetish?


We were then off to Ichiban Japanese Grill for some yummy and pretty much the funnest food you can get - right?? We only had eggs, spatulas, and salt and pepper shakers hit us in the head a few times. It was great fun.




And then, I am ashamed to admit, the sinning started. Because when you mix a bunch of this...

with this...
and a few of these...

not to mention a pound of melted this...

the final outcome is this sinfully delicious masterpiece!

Salted Caramel and Chocolate Ganache Cake. THE. BEST. CAKE. EVER. Nevermind the fact that it took me 4.5 hours of mixing and measuring and using a candy thermometer and assembling. It was SO worth it. If you would like to be the committer of the most decadent, amazing, rich, sweet, and succulent sin ever - all you need do is go to MarthaStewart.com and download the recipe for the Sweet and Salty Cake. Yes, that is salt sprinkled on top... delicious.
Overall, it was such a fun night! Natalie, I love you so much. Thank you for being my best friend. I hope you had the Happiest of Birthdays because you truly deserve it.
... and p.s. - ha, ha... You're 30!

4 comments:

kel said...

the cake looks like a butt-kicker. nice work! and 30 ain't bad... feels a lot like 24 - but with kids - to me.

Kiesel Klan said...

AH that looked so fun I wish I could have been there.

Catherine Faux said...

I Always giggle uncontrollably when I get pedicures. It's actually borderline embarrassing. Also, the cake looks delicious. ps I love your last line...haha it's funny!

Julie said...

I love it and can't believe that she turned 30!! Whoa Mama!! Looks like you girls had such a great time & what a sweet sister you are to slave over that cake. I want to try it...
Wish we lived closer so we could party together! Hopefully I will see you sometime soon...? Plan a mother-daughter trip to Houston this fall. I think Ada and Austin would just love playing together. Love you!!